Art & DT
Our Curriculum Vision for art- Our Intent
Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. At Doveridge Primary we believe that a high-quality art and design education engages, inspires and challenges pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. Our ambition would be to give all our pupils the confidence, knowledge and skills to take ownership of their own personal progression through the arts, giving the children more opportunities to be involved in the planning for the arts and allowing the arts to become a platform for personal expression.
Our Early Years Curriculum for art and design aims to ensure that all Early Years pupils:
- Have repeated and varied opportunities to explore and play with arts and crafts and the practice of using small tools, with feedback and support from adults, to develop proficiency, control and confidence.
- Develop artistic and cultural awareness in order to support their imagination and creativity.
- Have regular opportunities to engage with the arts, enabling them to explore and play with a wide range of media and materials.
- See, hear and participate in quality and varied experiences to develop their understanding, self-expression, vocabulary and ability to communicate through the arts and to interpret and appreciate what they hear, respond to and observe.
Our KS1 children will be given the opportunity:
- To use a range of materials creatively to design and make products.
- To use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- To develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space.
- To explore the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Our KS2 children will be given the opportunity:
- To develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
- To create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas.
- To improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay].
- To learn about great artists, architects and designers in history
Curriculum Planning - Implementation
14 Chapel Green, Ashbourne, Derbyshire, DE6 5JY